The construction of Charles House, Kensington High Street, London (circa 1950) - now demolished.
Prior to construction, the site was used as a makeshift ambulance depot, which fuelled rumours that Charles House was originally designed as a hospital before being changed to an office building mid-construction. It’s widely agreed that this isn’t true but it makes an interesting tale.
Charles House was designed by Arthur S. Ash and built 1948-50. It was constructed using a reinforced concrete frame with brick cladding. The second image shows the stages of construction in February, June and August 1949. It has since been demolished to make way for an eco-village.